Ko-Fi

Wednesday 1 March 2023

New Toy - Tamron Adaptall 2 90mm Macro Lens

 I am a patient kind of guy when I am looking for things I need for my photography and that patience paid off recently when I finally bought a lens I have wanted since I came back to film in 2017. Long time readers will know I am a fan of Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses. If you came here recently I recommend you give Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses a try, especially if you haven't got a lot of cash, and have a read of my previous blog on these great budget friendly lenses via the link below.

 
I have done a lot of reading up on Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses since 2017 and found that a couple of primes are sought after for their sharpness and colour rendition. One of those is the lens I took delivery of last week after waiting for one to come along at the right price and at the same time that I had the money to buy it. That lens is the SP 90mm f/2.5 Tele Macro, model number 52B.

Up to now I have been using either my Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 or my Meyer-Optik 30mm f/3.5 Lydith in conjunction with a Macro Converter for my DSLR scanning. I have enjoyed learning the art of using my DSLR to digitise my film, but I always knew that buying a macro lens that provides true 1:1 resolution was always going to happen at some point, hence the patience in finding the one I wanted at the right price. To get that 1:1 resolution I need to use my Tamron Adaptall 2 2x teleconverter, but even at 1:2 without it the macro resolution is bang on.

I couldn't wait to try it so fitted it to my Nikon D700 and began learning. In last weeks blog the photos I posted were dslr scans done using the 90mm macro lens, the difference in quality is definitely visible in those images compared to what I have been able to achieve up to now. I also went for a walk with it. I spent a bit of time having a wander around my local woodland and nature trails just to see how the lens performs out in the wild. I must say it has me in it's thrall even more than when it was just on my list of things to buy.

This lens excels in the woods and the bigger landscapes around the local farms. I was able to shoot close ups of the tree buds bursting out as new leaves and still enjoy my love of a big sky with longer shots along the paths or inded my ubiquitous power lines location.
I also tried the lens on my Nikon D90 and its APS-C crop factor gives a field of view roughly the same as a 135mm lens does. This does make street photography very challenging and I need to think about that a bit more a I haven't used a 135mm lens for quite a while.

Despite the shortcomings of learning to use a longer focal length, I really enjoyed using my Tamron 90mm macro lens. It has brought plenty to my photography as I will be using it on my D700 for digitising my medium format film and maybe my 35mm film too on my walks around town. The beauty of the Tamron Adaptall 2 System is I can use this lens on all my cameras, so expect more from it with my film photography in the not too distant future. I am really happy with it and it is now a much loved addition to my lens collection.


Here are a few photos I shot this week using my Tamron Adaptall 2 90mm f/2.5 tele macro lens on my Nikon D700. I have placed these photos and a few more in an album on Flickr you can visit using the link below. I hope you enjoy them.

Tamron Adaptall 2 Lens System
Tamron Adaptall 2 90mm f/2.5 tele macro

Snowdrops

Hawthornes are waking up



New Hawthorne bud opens


Waiting to be ploughed


2 comments:

  1. I have a few of the adaptall range, including the 90mm.Useful if you have a few different SLR mounts in use. They seem to be getting a bit forgotten nowadays; or possibly the expense of the mounts put people off. Or the industrial styling of many models doesn't appeal......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Adaptall mounts average £10-£15 depending on the camera mount. The Adaptall system has allowed me to try a lot of cameras without having to pay stupid money for a lens I might only use once.

      Delete

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 35mm

  April came around and it was the final day of the month before I was able to get out and shoot my 35mm roll of Kentmere 400 black and whit...