Ko-Fi

Thursday 23 February 2023

Frugal Film Project 2023 - February

I'm trying not to leave my Frugal Film Project commitment to the last minute in 2023. I allowed it to go down to the wire a time or three in 2022 and rushing led me to make a few mistakes. This year is starting out well and I have been getting my roll of Kentmere 400 medium format shot, developed and digitally processed in a timely fashion. Go me!

February is never the best month weather wise and this year is no different. It's been a mix of horrible weather and the odd patch of sunshine on the few dry days we have enjoyed. Sadly lurgy got a hold of me and I missed a few decent days through being ill. I eventually managed to get out and about in the third week of February with my Agfa Isolette I loaded with Kentmere 400 medium format film to see how the demolition works is going at The Galleries.

The access to Makinson Arcade from the Bus Station has opened again after demolition work to free up space for works to continue at Market Gate was completed. It's odd seeing the shop we once bought our kids school shoes from has gone. Shoe Zone is now just half a shell as three sides have been removed. The last time I saw this particular area as open as it is now was when the old Market Hall was being demolished in the 1980's.

i wasn't alone in taking photos and had a quick chat with another Wiganer who was lamenting the short life The Galleries had whilst taking a few photos for posterity. The overwhelming feeling from people I have spoken to is "what a waste." I headed off to another vantage point to see how much has changed there and it isn't much. There's a couple of excavators sorting through the rubble to remove any steel from the concrete so both can be recycled separately.

A lot of the works at the moment is happening inside the building as the shops are gutted and materials get recycled so I had a wander around town to see what I could find. One thing I do enjoy taking a snapshot of is the statue of Billy Boston, a Wigan Warriors Rugby League Club Hall of Fame legend.

I can relate to Billy as he isn't a native Wiganer. He was was born and raised in Cardiff and spent 15 years playing for Wigan from 1953-1968. He earned everyones respect with his skills on the field and he never moved back to Cardiff. He is proud of his Cardiff roots, but calls Wigan his home. I was born in Liverpool and will always be a scouser, but Wigan has been home for 3 decades and I don't want to live anywhere else. I love the town.

Another Wigan legend is WM Santus, the home of Uncle Joe's Mint Balls. This year the much loved sweet maker is celebrating its 125th birthday. I had to get a picture of the famous sign painted on the gable end of the terraced houses that has been home to the company for over a century and it has had a refresh. The fresh paint and the Uncle Joe's logo modified to proudly display 125 years has ensured this legendary Wigan landmark will be in fine fettle for decades more to come.

With Uncle Joe's photographed for the project I headed home and got down to developing my film. I chose to use Kodak HC-110 dilution E 1+47 for 9 minutes and after completing the process soon had it hanging to dry in my bathroom. I digitised my film with my Nikon D700 and a new toy, a Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 90mm f/2.5 tele macro lens. I finally got one after spending the last few years hoping to find a decent one at the right price. Patience pays off eventually. I processed my photos with Affinity Photo 2 and have to say I'm pretty pleased with this months effort.

Here's a few of my photos for this month and as always I have placed them and al the rest in my Frugal Film project 2023 album on Flickr you can visit via the link below. There's also a couple of colour photos of the famous Uncle Joe's sign to show before and after it got a well earned refresh. I'm sure you'll agree it's the best in all the land. I hope you enjoy them.

Frugal Film Project 2023 - February










No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 35mm

  April came around and it was the final day of the month before I was able to get out and shoot my 35mm roll of Kentmere 400 black and whit...