Ko-Fi

Thursday 9 March 2023

Nikon D610

 This week has been an exciting one for me as I have bought some new toys. I have been looking for another DSLR as getting my D700 serviced is nigh on impossible due to the cost and shrinking supply of spares. It got the dreaded "Err" message on the top panel and refuses to acknowledge my AF lenses, but it works perfectly with manual focus lenses. Go figure! Rather than spend a load of money to get it mended I spent the money on a Nikon D610 that I found for a reasonable price on the bay of evil. I delayed my blog this week so I could try the camera out and let you guys know what I think of it.

It arrived on Wednesday afternoon and I spent a little time to unbox the camera and accessories that came with it. It was all packed neatly into a Krisyo shoulder bag that carried the weight of all the gear with ease. Also in the bag was a MB-D14 Battery Grip with extra AA battery holder, 2 EN-EL 15 batteries, 1 battery charger, 1 USB cable, 1 Jessops Flash, a remote flash trigger and a manual. The vendor said in the description it had been serviced and had little use after they upgraded. I can believe it too as the camera and accessories are spotlessly clean. I have been hunting for another DSLR for some time, I researched what price the D610 is going for at the moment in good condition and I got a bargain.

I put my AF Nikkor 24-120mm D lens on it and began going through the settings. Everyone has their own preferences when setting their camera up and it didn't take me long to set it up to my liking. The Nikon D610 is an entry level full frame DSLR situated below the D750 in the Nikon full frame range and was unleashed upon the world in 2013 to replace the D600. It has a 24 megapixie sensor and does 1080p video too. I may do something with that capability in the coming months, but for now I am concentrating on taking photos.

I am rather impressed with the weight of the camera, it's a lot lighter than my D700. With my hefty 24-120mm D lens on I needed to fit the battery grip to balance the weight of the lens and it felt much better. I packed my new camera into its bag with my Tamron 70-300mm lens, picked up my tripod and went for a wander in the woods. It didn't matter that it was a dull overcast day that threatened to snow, I wanted to see how the D610 handles a wet Wednesday in Wigan.

Straight away I could see the difference a few years makes to technical developments on digital cameras. The shutter is nice and precise, the colour rendition on the back of the camera is sweet and the novelty of autofocus when using live view will never get old. My photos are nothing special, I just wanted to build some experience in using the camera and to be honest it is a very easy camera to get along with. The controls are very familiar, the selector dial is easy to use with my woollen gloves on and I was soon exploring locations I have visited many times to see what else I could see.

I really enjoyed getting out and about and didn't mind when the snow began falling, it was the fine stuff that soon melts as it hits the ground. I was hoping it would get heavier, but alas it wasn't to be on this day. My Nikon D610 handled the conditions with ease and I'm looking forward to getting proficient with it over the coming months as we start getting warmer weather and more trees sprout their new leaves. The Hawthornes have made an early start and are a welcome sight which will only get more colourful as spring progresses.

I enjoyed my walk in the woods learning how to use my Nikon D610, but I had to head home as I was starting to feel the cold despite having my winter coat on. More snow was forecast for the next day and to tell the truth I hoped it would snow overnight and give me some more challenges as I continue to learn this photography malarkey. I lucked out with the snow. Bugger...

Here's a few of my first photos shot with my Nikon D610. I processed the photos with Affinity Photo 2 and I have placed them and more in an album on Flickr you can visit using the link below. I hope you enjoy them.

Nikon D610 - AF Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6















No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - August - 35mm

 First I have to tell you that I missed the deadline of August 31st for my August roll of Kentmere 400 shot with my Olympus OM101. However, ...