Ko-Fi

Wednesday 13 October 2021

Pulling Ilford HP5 to 200 iso

I really enjoy shooting Ilford film, HP5 and FP4 are superb emulsions with a wide exposure latitude that produce great results and are very forgiving. HP5 has been pushed way beyond it's box speed but pulling it is something I have not seen a lot of online so, for lack of anything better to do, I figured why the heck not. I loaded a roll into my Olympus OM-1, set it at 200 iso and headed into town to see what I could find. I actually shot this film over the course of three days, two in town and the most recent an afternoon around the local farms.

I wasn't looking for any particular shots whilst out and about. I like to see what is in front of me and find a shot. I have always been less than impressed with my efforts when I do go looking for a particular shot, so I began reacting to my surroundings rather than hope my plans would come to fruition. It's good to see Wigan bustling with shoppers again, the last couple of years has been very stressfull for the retailers in town and not all of them have survived the lockdowns caused by the pandemic.

I finished the roll around the local farms, there's always a shot for me there and I found some half decent cloud scapes that go well with an orange filter, even when it's hazy. The trees are showing their autumn colours and I must get back there in the coming days with my FED 2 and a roll of ColorPlus. I left my Frugal Film Project colour film for autumn on purpose as it is probably the most colourful time of year. It's as though the trees have seen what the flowers have to offer through spring and summer and said "hold my beer!"

Here's a few of my images from this roll of HP5 shot at 200, I am quite pleased with how they turned out. As the days get shorter I will be going the other way and pushing a roll or two of HP5 before the year is out. I just have to decide how many stops I am brave enough to tackle. I have placed these images and more in an album on Flickr that you can access via the link below. I hope you enjoy them.

Ilford HP5 at 200 iso Flickr Album











1 comment:

  1. You got some nice tones here. In fact, I would have guessed pushed rather than pulled.

    ReplyDelete

Frugal Film Project 2024 - 35mm - March

February was almost a bust. I won't lie, I wasn't sure I was going to have anything to submit for the project when my OM101 failed a...