Ko-Fi

Wednesday 6 October 2021

Frugal Film Project 2021 - September

September 2021 has been a busy month shooting colour film and learning the art of developing it. Also I seem to have become an Olympus shooter almost exclusively without consciously deciding to do so. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course, Olympus made damn good 35mm film camera's and they do the job exceedingly well. I think that making a repair to my OM-1 has made me appreciate it more, it was my dream camera when I was a kid, maybe it's the kid inside my mind having fun. Whilst enjoying using my OM-1 and OM-2, I also had my 35RC in my bag loaded with Kodak ColorPlus 200 for the Frugal Film Project.

One thing I have been glad to continue is shooting ColorPlus at 100 iso. It's a great happy snappers film at box speed for sunny summer holidays, but if you want to experiment, pull it to 100 and it comes alive. I think the colours become more saturated and it gains contrast making separation much easier to accomplish, which can only be a good thing. Thankfully we got a few sunny days during September and I was able to have a slow wander around town looking for compositions.

I tried to find compositions I haven't explored over the course of the project. It's easy to get caught up shooting the same things all the time and with each passing month that becomes increasingly difficult, particularly if you don't really know the area. Having lived in Wigan for 30 years I have a good idea of where things are, but there are a few little nooks left that surprise me. One shot in particular of a pretty non descript back street came alive with afternoon shadows.

As I spoke of in previous blogs, I definitely wanted to develop at least one roll of colour film
for the project. I made the most of my Film Photography Project Unicolor C41 kit and managed to shoot and develop 8 rolls over the course of September. I think I am confident enough in my skills at developing colour film now that I can produce decent negs worthy of the Project and developed this month's roll of Kodak ColorPlus with a roll of Kodak Gold. I think it has come out pretty decent.

For October I plan to change camera and maybe shoot a roll of Kodak ColorPlus at 400 iso in my FED 2 just to see how it turns out. The days are getting shorter so a little more light on my film has to be worth a try, if it works I will share them. Until then, here's a few of my photo's from September's roll of Kodak ColorPlus shot at 100 iso and developed and scanned at home. I have also placed them and more in the Frugal Film Project 2021 Colour album on my Flickr account, you can see them in full resolution by using the link below. I hope you enjoy them.


Frugal Film Project 2021 Colour










No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - 35mm - March

February was almost a bust. I won't lie, I wasn't sure I was going to have anything to submit for the project when my OM101 failed a...