Ko-Fi

Monday 3 August 2020

Back To Basics

After spending quite some time in 2020 using my Nikon F801 and my D700 during my walks in the local countryside, I felt I needed a change and I don't mean the scenery. I Like the convenience of using my Nikon gear, the shared lenses between my F801 from the late 1980's and my D700 from 2008 really shows Nikon's design ethos perfectly. However, you can get a little too comfortable with just one system and I decided to have a day out with my Pentax SP500 and Helios 44m-4 lens, the camera I learned the basics with. I loaded a roll of Ilford HP5 into my SP500 and toddled off out.

My choice of a budget Spotmatic has been documented here but It's worth saying again as I get so much enjoyment from using my Pentax SP500. It is a fully manual camera with a through the lens light meter that requires a battery for the light meter to work.
Spotmatics are built like tanks and there are many out there that have a working light meter, but it's no big deal if it doesn't. If you want to play with the Sunny 16 method it doesn't matter if the light meter works or not, just dial in your shutter speed and aperture based upon what you see in the sky. Here is a handy little chart designed by Andy Lawn you can download at Andy's Handy Exposure calculator

I really enjoy getting fresh air in the local countryside. I have said that often too, but it's true. Given the extraordinary circumstances that has gripped the world in 2020, the folk in my area have been taking full advantage of a walk around the local footpaths and nature trails. There's plenty of space for everyone and it is good to say hello to folk as they pass by. I used to enjoy walking on the fells of the Lake District and the Mountains in Snowdonia and you get the same exerience, folk are happy to acknowledge each other and smile. In our towns and cities folk are too often caught up in their daily lives to say hello, me included. A walk in the countryside or even your local park soothes the soul and brightens the day.

I did have an odd encounter, I was stopped by a chap walking his dog who wanted some advice about his printer. He was struggling with it not printing the size he wanted, so I was happy to chat about it and he seemed happy enough with what I shared with him. Computers and printers are only as good as the information we put into them. He had a light bulb moment, said he would have a good look at it when he got home and went on hs way.
 

We wouldn't have had that conversation if I wasn't holding my camera, photography has a habit of bringing folk together and is one reason I enjoy it so much. Photography is often seen as a solitary exercise, but folk don't really see the other end of it, which is why I chose to begin writing this blog and documenting my journey as a photographer. The start of the process may be soiltary, but it definitley has a community spirit behind it as we show the fruits of our labours with family, friends and whoever wishes to take a moment or two out of their lives to enjoy our photographs. I have enjoyed myself so far and long may it continue.
 

Here's a few images from my back to basics day with my Pentax SP500, Helios 44m-4 58mm f/2 lens and a couple of rols of Ilford HP5+ 400 black and white film. I have placed all my images from this shoot in an album on Flickr titled Back To Basics  I hope you enjoy them.











No comments:

Post a Comment

I bought another Baldax....

  In my recent blog for my March roll of Ilford HP5 for this year's Frugal Film Project, I spoke of the bother I had with Baldy the Bald...