Ko-Fi

Monday 27 July 2020

The First Fifty - A Photobook Gift To My Wife

At the beginning of 2020 I set myself two goals to achieve by the end of the year. I wanted to learn how to develop my own black and white film and I wanted to publish a Photobook. I achieved the first goal during the first half of the year, I have documented it in this blog with all my trials and tribulations along the way. The second goal was now within reach and I began looking into how to go about it.

The photography world is awash with photobooks. From full colour coffee table tomes to small booklets and 'Zine's, it's great to see so many people putting their work out for public viewing. It shows photography is in pretty good health as we head into the 2020's. It's also great to see every form of photography being represented in print. From daguerrotypes to the latest digital images, wet plate collodion to film, there is something for everyones taste. Rather than be daunted by the competition, I decided to make my first photobook a personal one that would be only for my dear wife. She has stood by me in everything I have done in our years together and her support for my photography meant there was only ever going to be one person getting my first book.

The problem with publishing one book is the cost. It aint cheap! I checked out various sources and websites and was going to put it to one sde when fate played her hand. I was browsing through Instagram and an advert appeared from a company named Saal Digital offering a discount for anyone willing to give their services a try. At first I thought it might be one of those offers that are "too good to be true", but after a pause for thought I followed up on the advert to research it further.

This proved to be a good decision as Saal Digital are a professional photo lab who turn your photographs into books, cards, calendars, prints and gifts. I decided to give it a try and sent an email. I didn't have long to wait for a reply and was given a voucher to use towards payment of my photobook. This helped out enormously and meant my plan to give my wife my first book was possible. I had a good look at Saal Digital's website and from the various formats I chose to use the professional line and I set about designing it.

Saal provided proprietary software for me to use to design my book, but they also provide a plug-in that can be used with other photo and design software from Adobe on Windows and Mac o/s and an android app. Saal also provide simple video tutorials that are really helpful if, like me, you have never tried this before. The layout and design process are simple and intuitive and it wasn't long before I was selecting photo's and adding some text to accompany them.

One piece of advice I will give to anyone thinking of doing this is to plan ahead and have a firm idea of how you want your book presented. You can go into it cold, but having a plan will save you some time and make the whole process a lot easier. Write some notes, select your images and put them into the order you want to see them in your book. I found It's easier to match notes to images this way and it sped up the process for me considerably.

I spent a weekend composing the story I wanted to portray in my book, then adding it to my photographs.
I decided that as it was a gift I would have the book placed in a presentation box to finish it. Saal provide several choices of material and I chose an acrylic cover and black leatherette binding for the book and a natural linen and black leatherette covering for the presentation box.

Once I had finished designing my book the review process started which Saal made very easy with an automated method of making everything fit where it should. You don't have to use the auto settings, you can do it all yourself if you wish, but I took the easy way and it didn't take long to edit my book and be ready to submit my order.  The ordering process is also done in Saal's software and the payment process is secure. All I had to do was wait for it to be delivered.

It took three days from placing my order to the nice folks at DHL delivering it to my door. That's great service. The best part is my wife loved being presented with a book made just for her. She is very impressed with my effort and with the quality of the printing and finishing by Saal Digital. No one had ever done that for her before, it made it special and she said she will treasure it always.


The digital revolution hasn't managed to destroy the art of story telling, it has made it easier. The ability to publish a photobook with a digital process has made self publishing so easy and achievable for everyone. With a little care and imagination you too can publish a photobook. Perhaps a travelogue from your holiday snaps, a keepsake of a family celebration or even a special wedding album from photo's you have taken to give to the happy couple. There is a product for every occasion, all you need is the imagination to design it. Saal provide the tools to take your idea and put it into print. They also have special offers available to make your ideas even more affordable so you too could be surprising your loved ones with a truly unique gift. 


Here are a few images of the photobook I designed for my wife. Not all of it mind, it wouldn't be special if I showed you all of it. I hope they inspire you to produce one yourself. For more information about
the services Saal Digital offer and their very reasonable prices please visit www.saal-digital.co.uk Tell them I sent you.

Natural Linen bound presentation box

Acrylic Front cover with black leatherette binding

The quality of the materials is high

All images are scans of 35mm Black and White film.

Look at his face

The Face Of Wigan





2 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely book. I really like the way it's laid out with the text. What a wonderful gift. Great write up too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michaela, it's very kind of you to say so.

      Delete

I bought another Baldax....

  In my recent blog for my March roll of Ilford HP5 for this year's Frugal Film Project, I spoke of the bother I had with Baldy the Bald...