Ko-Fi

Monday 10 August 2020

Unexpected Gifts

I have often gone out with my camera to take photographs of a certain location, view or vista, but that doesn't always go according to plan. Over the last week I have been getting to know and use a camera that was given to me by my excellent chum Helene.  She was given an Ilford Sportsman by her Grandfather and Helene had taken her very first photo with the camera whe she was 7 years old. The photography bug never left her. When she gave the camera to me and told me of it's history, I felt honoured to be the one to bring the camera back into use. I had planned on telling you of my experience in this blog, but I seriously underestimated the challenge ahead of me. It is in good working order, but I have to learn a whole new way of film photography to do the camera the justice it deserves.

All was not lost for this weeks blog as I always carry my Nikon D700. The images I captured this week with my D700 surprised me and gave me a gift I will also cherish. Photography often throws a swerve at us and that step away from our intended activity can catch us off guard. I was enjoying using the Ilford Sportsman and hoped I would have some images to share with you, but nature had other ideas in store for me. I was given a gift of Butterflies.

On one of the local nature trails there is a big patch of thistles and the bright purple flowers attract all kinds of insects to feast upon the nectar and pollenate the next generation of thistles. I was surprised by a beautiful butterfly that landed on a thistle a few feet away from me. I thought it was a common Red Admiral and, as it looked like it was sticking around for a bit, I lifted my D700 and started taking photographs.

My hours of practicing and getting to know my D700 were tested as I didn't have a macro lens on my camera. I was using my faithful AF Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 D that I use as my walkabout lens. Its versatility covers wide angles for landscape whilst giving me some reach should I need it. As I began taking photo's of the Butterfly in front of me I began to move closer to try to get more detail. I wasn't too sure how the lens would cope with being asked to be a macro lens as well as a general purpose zoom lens. i would soon find out as the butterfly moved on to a neighbouring thistle.

Digital camera's have given us the ability to see our photo's as soon as we have taken them. You can often see photographers taking a quick peek at the image they have just taken before lifting their camera back to their eye and trying an alternative composition. I didn't know how long the butterfly would be posing for me as it enjoyed its meal, so i didn't peek, I kept shooting. I had to think quickly and instinctively dialled in my settings as i took each photograph. I had a peek after the butterfly had left and I was glad to see I had some images I could use, I just had to wait until I got home to view them on my computer.

When I bought my Nikon D700 I did so after a lot of thought and comparing camera specifications to what I wanted the camera to do. I'm not the greatest photographer and rarely will I make a video, so I wanted a camera that would take my skills up a level from the Nikon D90 I had been using. All I can say is the decision to buy the D700 was vindicated in a few quickly taken photographs.

We often take things for granted and do stuff without thinking, but to do it with a camera takes a lot of practice. My hours of learning since I bought my D700 paid off handsomely. Quck thinking and instinct are acquired skills, they don't come naturally to the majority of us. I am often reminded about the effort you put into something will equal the results you achieve. My photography teacher Mike Browne chants this mantra often and he's right. All those hours learning to use my camera and practicing the skills needed to put an image together, more often than not accompanied by Mike's voice in my mind, came together in less than one minute to take a photograph I'm rather proud of.

I'm no butterfly expert, I was mesmerised by it's bright colours and
not for the first time I had to look it up when I got home. I had never heard of a Comma Butterfly and until I decided to give photography my full attention I may never have seen one or noticed it amongst the colours that wild flowers and plants display during the summer months. I was also reminded of my Mother and Father in law. My dear wife's parents loved butterfies and since their passing we have been noticing butterflies more then ever. The old romantic in me quite likes the idea of them sending a butterfly every so often to remind us of them and keep their memory alive.

it's not the first time I have seen beautiful butterfly's whilst out and about, but it was the first time I didn't have my Tamron 70-300mm with it's 1:2 macro capability fitted to my camera. It's nice to be able to plan images of insects, but it's also given me confidence that I can react quickly to the gifts that nature lays before us. Here's a few images of the butterfly's I have seen on my walks with a fond nod of thanks to my dear departed inlaws for sharing their love of butterfly's with our extended family. I hope you enjoy them too.  For full resolution images please visit my Flickr account at Butterflies

    
Comma Butterfly taken with my walkabout zoom lens
It's a beautiful insect
Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly
taken with Tamron 70-300m Di LD macro 1:2
Red Admiral taken with Tamron 70-300mm

Peacock
 
Also taken with Tamron 70-300
 
Gatekeeper, also called a Hedge Brown
 
 

 
 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment

I bought another Baldax....

  In my recent blog for my March roll of Ilford HP5 for this year's Frugal Film Project, I spoke of the bother I had with Baldy the Bald...