Ko-Fi

Wednesday 9 October 2024

Frugal Film Project 2024 - September - 120 medium format

 September came along and the weather has definitely turned to a distinctly autumnal feel. I didn't get out often, but I did manage to shoot my Frugal Film Project roll of Ilford HP5 medium format film with Baldy the Baldax whilst out and about in my local countryside. Autumn has definitely arrived and the trees have started to change the colour of their leaves and shed them in readiness for their annual slumber. This makes it a tad treacherous underfoot, so take care when you're riding your bicycle, motorcycle or just out for a walk.

I shot my 35mm film at the power lines and chose this time to walk towards the old spoil heap in the hope of having a couple of frames left for my favourite tree. I have been continually tweaking dear old Baldy the Baldax over the last couple of months and I am determined to reduce the light leaks. Baldy is being sent for a much deserved CLA and possibly new bellows in 2025 and to be fair it has more than earned it.

I wandered towards the fields where the Horses graze and took a few photos along the way of the scenery. The weather was kind to me on the day and I was also testing an Olympus OM-1 I recently purchased for the bay of evil. I was using my Gossen Trisix to get my light reading and applying them to Baldy as usual, but I was also using the same settings to test the light meter on my "new to me" OM-1. I will speak about that camera more in a future blog.

The Horses were keeping their distance from the fences and humans as they grazed. They were content to munch on the grass and enjoy the beautiful autumn sunshine. I can't fault them for that as it was a glorious afternoon and I was having fun finding compositions.

I eventually made my way onto the old spoil heap, locally known as The Wash. The sun was starting to dip lower in the sky as the afternoon wore on, the shadows were getting longer as I walked to my favourite tree on there. I had two frames left and used both on the tree to finish my film.

The next time I visit I will probably have my Digital camera with me as well as a film camera. I just hope the weather is as kind to me as it was on this day. With my September roll finished I put Baldy the Baldax away and continued on my way for some fun with my OM-1 as I made my way home.

I developed my roll of Ilford HP5+ 400 a few days later in Kodak HC110 1+31 dilution B for 5 minutes at 20 celcius and hung it to dry in my bathroom. I digitised it with my Nikon D700, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mm f/2.5 macro lens, Valoi medium format film holder, Pixl-Latr and A5 size LED light pad. I processed the RAW files with Affinity Photo 2.

Here are a few of my favourites from my September roll of Ilford HP5+ 400 shot with Baldy the Baldax for the Frugal Film Project 2024. I had a a very enjoyable afternoon taking some exercise and fresh air whilst taking photos and I'm pleased to say Baldy performed better than I did this month. I had a brain fart and must have moved the lens when I gave it a wipe with my lens cloth and forgot to check it afterwards. The last few shots are all out of focus.

I also ran out of time and weather to dash out to shoot another roll of HP5 and I'm not going to be late again. Half a roll is better than nothing so I'm owning this one. I'm just glad I got some nice exposures to share with you. As always I have placed them in my Frugal Film Project 2024 120 medium format album on Flickr you can visit using the link below. I hope you enjoy them.

Frugal Film Project 2024 - 120 medium format







                                                                            Blurry one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - September - 120 medium format

 September came along and the weather has definitely turned to a distinctly autumnal feel. I didn't get out often, but I did manage to ...