Ko-Fi

Monday 19 December 2022

Frugal Film Project 2022 - December

 The Frugal Film Project 2022 is drawing to a close with my final submissions of the year shot on 35mm Ilford HP5 using my Pentax SP500 camera and Meyer-Optik Gorlitz 30mm f/3.5 Lydith lens. I chose the camera and film as I am most comfortable with them and the lens was one of my bucket list lenses. I have to say I learned a heck of a lot this year with this combination. It proved that "Keep It Simple Stupid", also known as "KISS Theory" really does work.

I managed to shoot this last roll of film during a cold snap that hit the UK in mid December, plunging temperatures ensured frost and ice was everywhere. I'm not exactly fleet of foot these days and I waited a day or three before venturing out to Mesnes Park in Wigan to take some photos of the Coalbrookdale Fountain.

The freezing temperatures had an amazing effect on the fountain. It didn't just freeze, it produced wonderful icicles and built up ice around the cherub at the top that almost totally encased it. Just the nozzle at the top was clear. As water was pumped upwards to it, it kept the fountain going and stopped it from freezing completely.

I couldn't leave it alone. I tried to take other photos around the park, but the fountain held me in its thrall. I was not alone either as a steady stream of folk were also paying the fountain a visit to take photos as it has been a long time since it froze to this extent. I certainly haven't seen it freeze in all the years I have lived here.

It was nice to talk to people and share this experience with them. We are living in tough times here in the UK. Seeing the Coalbrookdale Fountain and Nature put on a wonderful display put a smile on plenty of faces and helped us forget the worries we face, if only for a few moments. It wasn't long before I had finished my roll of film and headed on my way.

I shot my film at 800 iso and developed it as 800 iso for 7 1/2 minutes in HC-110 dilution B and soon had it hanging to dry in my bathroom. I scanned it with my Ion Slides2PC 35mm scanner and tidied my photos up with Affinity Photo. Here are a few of my favourites and I have placed them and more in my Frugal Film Project 2022 album on Flickr. I hope you enjoy them as it brings this years project to a close.

I have had a lot of fun this year and I'm happy to say I will be taking part in the Frugal Film Project again in 2023 with a different camera and film format. Ilford have recently made Kentmere 400 available in 120 medium format, something I have wanted them to do for a few years and I simply had to buy a few rolls for the project. I will be shooting it in my Agfa Isolette I 6x6 vintage folding camera, the point and shoot of the 1950's. Let the fun commence!

Frugal Film Project 2022 complete 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - 35mm - March

February was almost a bust. I won't lie, I wasn't sure I was going to have anything to submit for the project when my OM101 failed a...