Ko-Fi

Wednesday 12 January 2022

Trying my Jupiter 8 50mm f/2 on my FED 2

 During the Autumn of 2021 I went shopping for a Jupiter 8 50mm f/2 lens for my FED 2. The main resaon for this is the Industar 26m that came with my FED 2 is in need of a strip, clean and rebuild. I have been getting by with it, but I haven't really enjoyed using it and it's cheaper to buy another so I can still use my camera as I save up for that repair.

I did a little research and the Jupiter 8 made by KMZ seems to be highly regarded by fans of Soviet rangefinder cameras and within my meagre budget. I managed to find one with a decent Zorki 4 attached to it for not a lot of cash on ebay. My first use of that camera and lens combo is the subject of a blog I wrote back in November. Fun With Zorki 4 and Jupiter 8 50mm f2

I was quite pleased with how the Zorki performed, but really wanted to try the Jupiter 8 on my FED 2. I believe the camera can use the lens without having to do any messing around adjusting the rangefinder etc to suit the lens, which is something I could probably do myself if I knew how to do it. Until then I will leave it alone. I took the Jupiter 8 off my Zorki and switched it with the Industar 26m from my FED 2.

My assumption proved to be correct. I lifted my FED 2 with newly fitted Jupiter 8 to my eye and had a mess about with the diopter and I had a nice clear image through the viewfinder. This led me to pray for a nice day so I could go and shoot some film with my FED 2 and Jupiter 8 combo. That day came just before Christmas when I went out with my Olympus 35RC for the Frugal Film Project 2021.

Concentrating on the Frugal Film Project meant I didn't take as many photo's with my FED 2 as my Olympus, but that's ok. I was enjoying my walk in the early winter sunshine and managed to shoot half of my last roll of Kodak T-Max 400. I didn't get out again until the first week of the new year as I headed to Mesnes Park in Wigan to shoot my January roll of HP5 for the Frugal Film Project 2022. I finished my roll of T-Max around town and tested my Sunny 16 skills out, I guessed most of them, then headed home for a much needed hot cup of tea. You can't beat a decent brew to warm you up in winter.

A couple of days later I spent an evening developing the film I shot over the christmas and new year period and will be posting blogs about each of them in the coming weeks. Seeing each roll come out of the developing tanks to hang up in my bathroom to dry is always an exciting time and I was very pleased to see the results of my photo walks.

I scanned them the next day and edited them in Affinity Photo to remove dust spots and scratches and deal with a few images that needed some adjustments, much like I would in the darkoom if I were making a wet print. I try to limit my editing to what I would do in a darkroom, but everyone has their own ways of editing scanned film. It's all good.

Here's a few photos taken with my FED 2 and Jupiter 8 50mm f/2 lens on Kodak T-Max 400. I enjoyed using my FED 2 again and I'm happy with the results of my first use of this camera and lens combo. I think it's going to be a permanent combination in my regular rotaion. I have put them and more in an album on my Flickr account that you can visit using the link below. I hope you enjoy them.

Kodak T-Max 400 - FED 2 and Jupiter 8 50mm f/2










2 comments:

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 120 medium format

A sunny morning in mid April gave me an opportunity to get out with my cameras and I decided to take two cameras out. I wanted to shoot my F...