Ko-Fi

Wednesday 14 July 2021

Back To My Comfort Zone

 After shooting a few different films over the last three months or so I decided to get back to my comfort zone and shoot some Ilford HP5 in my Pentax SP500 and my Agfa Isolette 1. I enjoy shooting different films, it keeps me focused (pun intended) and helps me improve as a photographer. I also know that the warm confines of my snuggle blanket is never too far away. Ilford HP5 is my favourite b&w film and there's always a roll or two in my fridge to load into my trusty Pentax SP500.

My lens of choice for my SP500 is my equally comfy Helios 44m-4 58mm f/2, a lens with a history of German technical excellence being appropriated by Soviet war reparations at the end of WW2. The double gauss Biotar design of the Helios 44 series was made in the millions by KMZ, Belomo et al. and gradually improved upon by Soviet designers as new coatings and production techniques became available to them.

I took my time shooting both rolls of film and spread it out over a few days, mostly shooting in my usual haunts and trying a couple of different compositions as I continue my study of the town I call my home. Sadly there wasn't too many sunny days and I made the best of it with some cloud definition and contrast occasionally helped by a yellow filter.

One thing Pentax has been known for throughout it's history is reliability, which is why I bought my SP500 back in 2017. It still works great and the light meter is still accurate despite the camera being close to 50 years old. I can also happily say that my Agfa Isolette 1 has been a reliable camera too as I have learned to use it and got to know it's quirks. Yes it is getting on for 70 years old, but it is a simple camera uncluttered with anything more than the basics you need to take a decent photograph. Great lens, decent aperture range and a
shutter that is still reasonably within it's design tolerance.

This week was very enjoyable as I was shooting for nobody else but me. The enjoyment of taking a photo without having to worry about deadlines, content or a fair appraisal of a new film is always a pleasure. We are often reminded by photography teachers and mentors to get out of our comfort zone, but just remember that comfort zone is still there, waiting for you to come back and snuggle up for the love of our chosen art and the joy it brings.

Next week I am getting back into Colour Film as my Frugal Film Project contribution switches from Fomapan 200 to Kodak ColorPlus 200. I'm heading out to get some practice in with my OM-2 before letting loose with my Olympus 35RC. Until then h
ere are a few of my photo's from my comfort zone films and as always I have placed them on Flickr for you to enjoy in full resolution. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did taking them.

P.S A reminder that the Agent Shadow 400 Kickstarter ends on July 20th 2021. Join me in supporting it using the link below.

Comfort Zone 1 Pentax SP500
Comfort Zone 2 Agfa Isolette 1
Kosmo Foto Agent Shadow Kickstarter










No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 120 medium format

A sunny morning in mid April gave me an opportunity to get out with my cameras and I decided to take two cameras out. I wanted to shoot my F...