Ko-Fi

Monday 3 February 2020

One Big Learning Curve


Whilst getting acquainted with my Pentax camera’s and my Helios and Tamron lenses, I began to discover that this new hobby of mine was one big learning curve. I had to learn not just how to frame a composition, but also how to make that composition look its best by getting the exposure right. I have mentioned previously that my SP1000 wasn’t behaving properly, so I was using my SP500 more often than not. This didn’t stop me using it though. I went for a walk along the Canal near my home and took both camera’s with me. I wanted to do a comparison between them to give me some idea of how I could compensate for the deficiencies of the SP1000 against the SP500.

The SP1000 was sporting the Tamron 80-210 and I enjoyed using it on this occasion, I think the cold weather a few short weeks previously had a lot to do with my earlier failure. This time I had no problems with the film not winding on correctly or the shutter lagging. I didn’t even have much problem with my exposure settings either. I took a quick reading with a Gossen Trisix light meter Owen had given me, cross checked with my SP500 and then used those settings on the SP1000. Half the battle in film photography is getting that all important exposure done as well as you can. Owen had been teaching me a lot and I was starting to understand the Shutter Triangle. I also decided to keep it simple, this walk was all about the basics, the rest could wait for another day.

There was a few folk using the canal towpath for their exercise, or taking the dog for a walk, but one chap caught my eye as he was running barefoot! We exchanged pleasantries as he passed and I managed to grab a shot with the SP1000 and long lens that taught me a lot about shooting spontaneously. I had been looking for compositions and was taking my time, but that needed me to act fast and, despite my lack of experience, I am rather pleased with the image. I carried on and soon arrived at Wigan Pier where I was able to finish off one roll of Agfa Vista 200 and then finished the other roll as I wandered into Wigan town centre to get my films developed at the Max Spielmann Photo Store. I highly recommend Max Spielmann Photo Store, the staff are superb and both very knowledgeable and helpful. There are branches throughout the UK and concessions in Tesco and Asda supermarkets. You can find out more about them by visiting www.maxphoto.co.uk

Here are a few images from that walk, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did taking them.


Taking their dog for a walk down the towpath

Joggers enjoying an afternoon run

The Barefoot Runner

Fishing

Wigan Pier complex, Trencherfield Mill beyond.

Wigan Pier today.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 120 medium format

A sunny morning in mid April gave me an opportunity to get out with my cameras and I decided to take two cameras out. I wanted to shoot my F...