Ko-Fi

Monday 10 February 2020

Manchester Bike Show 2017

My photography skills were improving with each roll of film in March 2017. With Owen's encouragement I was understanding more about the basics of photography and the capabilities of my Pentax camera's. I enjoy getting out and about and i managed to convince owen to take me to the Manchester Bike Show at Event City on Trafford Park. One of the things I am passionate about is motorcycles and a bike Show is a great way of seeing the new models from the various manufacturers. However, it's not all shiny new bikes, there is also a healthy number of classic and vintage motorcycle owners clubs who like to show their Velocette's and Vincent's, Triumphs and BSA's and plenty more marques in between. Photography heaven!

The Manchester Bike Show is in two halves with a distinct separation between the two. The new models from the manufacturers was in a dark area of the building. t was extremely challenging to get a decent image in that part of the show, but I gave it a try. Where i was able to get some decent images was in the Clubs and Traders half of the show. This was brightly lit and owen and I had fun looking for compositions and experimenting with various angles. There's only so much you can do with a row of shiny classic and vintage bikes, but thankfully most were suitably parked so folks could get decent enough images.

A lot of the big industry led shows are too big to get around in one day, but Manchester Bike Show is just the right size. We had fun and enjoyed chatting to friends old and new about bikes, camera's, life, the universe and everything.Event city is just the right size for this kind of event and most folks will hapily pose for a photo. The good folks on the Velocette Owners Club stand were happy to let is get some close up shots of their machinery, resplendent in black gloss paint and shiny chrome and stainles steel. It doesn't matter if you like Mopeds and Scooters or big V Twin cruisers, there is something for everyone. It was the first time I had attended the event and I was impressed enough to return in 2018 and 2019.

I had a lot of fun with my camera's that day, experimenting with shutter speeds and apertures and I really learned a lot. I was still very much a novice, but I was getting better with each roll of film. Looking back at them now in 2020, I know what mistakes I made and I would definitely take these images totally differently. That is the joy of learning anything new, we can look back and see what we did wrong, but they stand as a marker of where I was as a fledgling photographer. Onwards and Upwards!



 

2 comments:

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 120 medium format

A sunny morning in mid April gave me an opportunity to get out with my cameras and I decided to take two cameras out. I wanted to shoot my F...