Ko-Fi

Wednesday 28 August 2024

Nikon D90 - Return of my first DSLR.

 Ah sweet Nikon D90, I have missed thee!

My first DSLR returned home this week after being loaned to my Granddaughter for her A level Photography course and I had to get out for a wander to reaquaint myself with my old friend. Also back is my Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AIS Longnose, quite possibly the nicest 50mm lens Nikon ever made, and my Tamron Adaptall 2 28-70mm close focus macro zoom lens.

When I bought my Nikon D90 back in 2017 I couldn't afford an autofocus lens and made do with the Tamron Adaptall 2 28-70mm zoom lens I bought for my Pentax SP500. I soon progressed onto AF Nikkor D series lenses that I have come to love, but I still love to use manual focus lenses as often as possible.

The 50mm longnose came with my Nikon F801 that was a gift from my dear friend, Muzza. I soon learned what a little gem that lens is and used it a lot over the next few years. It made sense to let my Granddaughter borrow them to discover what I was raving about and she took full advantage of them. We are all incredibly proud of her. 

For my walk I visited the local farm roads and nature trails to get reacquainted with my D90 and 50mm lens. I had been stuck indoors for a couple of days as Storm Lillian had crossed the UK and was glad to get out over the August Bank Holiday weekend. I visited the Horses and took a few shots of them with Baldy the Baldax for the Frugal Film Project before continuing along the footpath through the woodland and around the big field. I tried to find interesting textures, shapes and colours, with Himalayan Balsam, Thistles and Blackberries being my favourite items to photograph. There were Horses in the big field too and I took a few shots before heading to the Wheat Fields.

I missed the Harvest again.

One day I will get to see the farmer harvesting the crops, but, as always, I am a week or so too late. I made the most of the cloudy sky and rows of straw crossing the field, I just had to be patient and wait for the sun to bathe it in light as the low clouds had moved in. I was in no particular rush and could get myself lined up nicely whilst I waited for them to pass. With that sorted at the half way point, I headed towards home.

On my way home I took a few shots of the trees, power lines and pylons, you can't walk past them without taking a photo, it's the law! I also snapped a few shots of the antique ploughs on the walls by Giants Hall and the road through the woodland. I really enjoyed my walk on the day but, as always when I go for a walk, I was worn out by the time I got home.

I processed my photos with Affinity Photo 2 and I'm happy to have got a few decent photos as well as a few where my skills eluded me. I'm ok with that as it's been a long time since I used my D90 and 50mm f/1.8 manual focus lens. The exercise today was to get reacquainted with them and not to expect anything special. It was like finding an old favourite T-Shirt in the drawer and enjoying the memories made whilst wearing it and the feeling of comfort you get from it. It is exactly why I enjoy photography. The good memories made on the day can be relived long into the future.

Here's a few favourites from my walk and as always I have placed them and more in an album on Flickr you can visit by clicking the link below. I hope you enjoy them.

Nikon D90 - 50mm f/1.8 AIS 


 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - August - 120 medium format

 For my August roll of Ilford HP5+ 400 shot with Baldy the Baldax, I went for an informal approach. I loaded the film and took the camera ou...