Ko-Fi

Tuesday 7 May 2024

Dead Hands Cameras - 5 Cameras you will have to pry from my cold, dead, hands

An article that Alex Luyckx published on his excellent blog caught my eye and immediately grabbed my attention. A few fellow bloggers were having a conversation about their favourite cameras when an idea was born. I will quote Alex directly here, it's important to get the details right. Alex says.

"This idea comes from Jim Grey (Down the Road), from a conversation where Theo (PhotoThinkings) was looking for links for his review of the Voigtlander Superb. Peggy (Camera Go Camera) suggested he give her the camera, and Theo replied “this is a pry this from my dead hands camera.” Jim jumped on this and came up with the idea, the limit of five came from Stephen (Kosmo Foto) because that’s the number of fingers on one hand."

I figured it would be fun to do this too, probably because of FOMO, and I asked if it was ok if I joined in the fray. Alex graciously said "go for it!" It made life interesting for an afternoon as I went through my collection with the pro's and con's of each camera I own. Which of my cameras would make my list of 5 cameras you would have to pry from my cold dead hands? The first one should be no surprise.

Pentax SP500


The camera I came back to film with and so beloved that I sent it for a CLA in order to have it last for the remainder of my days. It is a no frills camera that does the basics with a simple match needle light meter to help you get your shots nicely exposed. It needs a battery to operate the light meter, but It works just as well without, it's a mechanical camera with levers and springs to operate the shutter for the right length of time needed. It also has a loud shutter that boldy tells everyone within 20 yards that "I have taken a photo!" I also bought a Helios 44m-4 58mm f/2 lens, a copy of the famous Carl Zeiss Biotar, and it was my only camera for the first few months as I got back into the joys of film photography after a 15 year break. I learned so much from this camera and lens that put me in good stead for everything I have done since 2017. I will probably be cremated when I die, but if I do manage to get a little plot of land that's forever mine, it's coming with me.


Goodman Zone Z1
 
Modern technology meets classic parts in perfect harmony. My Goodman Zone Z1 is t
he prize I won in a giveaway from PetaPixel.com and it has given me a deep appreciation of 6x7 medium format film photography. I have long been intrigued by 3D printed cameras and had given a lot of thought to getting one some day. Then the Photography Gods smiled upon me and sent this beautiful camera my way. I went back to school with this camera. It's a totally different style and one that I learned to enjoy, particularly after I defeated my nemesis, The Dark Slide! The addition of a hood, lovingly made by my awesome friend Dan in Hong Kong to help me get my focus right, made it complete. Dora Goodman and her team 3D printed the camera body, lens mount, focusing helical, sight and handle. The film holder is Mamiya RB67 medium format film holder. The lens is a Schneider-Kreuznach 90mm f/8 Super Angulon made for large format 4x5 or 5x7 field cameras. Both are readily available on the used market and If I want to change lenses, I can use any from a long list of lenses that Dora Goodman and friends have tried and tested on this great system.


Olympus OM-1

This was my dream camera when I was a young chap in the 1970's, courtesy of the "David Bailey? Who's he?" Olympus adverts. I finally got one in my 50's and it did not disappoint me. It is every bit as good as I imagined and then some. I bought it from an estate sale together with an OM-2, some lenses and accessories, so this has already been someone's "dead hands" camera. Thus it will also be mine when I shuffle off this mortal coil and join the choir invisible. Paired with a Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 it has given me so many great photos and I enjoy taking it out on sunny afternoons for a walk in my local countryside or the park in the town centre. It's also fully mechanical and only needs a battery to make the light meter work. Who needs light meters in summer when sunny 16 is so much fun.


Balda Baldax 4.5x6

This 90 year old German medium format film camera bailed me out when my other German camera, my Agfa Isolette I failed during the Frugal Film Project 2023. I wanted to keep using a folding camera for continuity and to keep participating in this fun activity. I enjoyed it so much I named it "Baldy The Baldax" and carried on with it in 2024. Despite having lost a screw, it is still going strong. Rain or shine, hot or cold, it produces the goods every time, despite my best ham fisted efforts at screwing things up. Loaded with film it fits in my pocket and is ready to use when I spot something that might make a good photo. It's a cracking little camera and affirms my belief that everyone should try a folding film camera at least once. They are elegant, simple and so much fun.


Nikon F801s

Friendship means a lot to me, especially when that friendship spans many years and many miles. I have been given a few cameras over the years by dear friends, but this is the first one and was given to me by my old mucker, Murray Stead. It was gathering dust in a box in his attic and he sent me a message asking me if I would like to have it. I immediately said yes and he sent it to me with a Nikon 50mm lens and a flash. After a clean it got it's first outing in the Park in town and has been blowing my mind ever since. It gave me a deep appreciation of Nikon cameras during the pandemic when I would take it out together with my Nikon D700 or my D90 and enjoy my allotted outdoor exercise time. It was an hour a day, but nobody said I couldn't use it all on the same day. As I write this it has a roll of Ferrania P33 loaded and ready for a blog in the not too distant future.


That's my five "dead hands" cameras. Honourable mentions have to go to my Olympus 35RC, Minolta X-700 and FED 2 that, despite being excellent cameras that I love to use, just didn't quite make the cut. If you would like to read more from photographers who also have their own "dead hands"cameras, please click the links below. There's some cool cameras out there, being loved by great photographers, waxing lyrical about their love for them and making great photos and memories along the way. I hope you enjoy them.

Alex Luyckx Dead Hands Cameras - five cameras I wont let go of
Jim Grey Down The Road - Dead Hands Cameras 
Camera Go Camera- Dead Hands Cameras - my top five cameras
Photo Thinking - Dead Hand Camera List
Aperture Preview - Dead Hands Cameras
Kosmo Foto - Five film cameras ill never part with
Mike Eckman - Five cameras ill take with me to the grave
Dave Whenham - Dead Hands
Austerity Photo - Dead Hand Cameras






6 comments:

  1. Most enjoyable. As you know I am mainly a Pentax man. My first SLR was an ES and that would be the first choice of my current cameras to take with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Spotmatics are fantastic cameras, very simple to use and the results are often very satisfying

      Delete
  2. Some lovely cameras there. The Goodman is a fascinating piece of kit. I’ve enjoyed all the Dead Hands posts
    Dave ( in Elland)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been interesting to see the great cameras we all love to use, there's quite a selection to choose from.

      Delete
  3. That's a great collection. I have just got the f801, it is smashing. The prize gods certainly were kind and that camera is very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Goodman Zone tested my skills and it's a joy to use.

      Delete

Ferrania P33 - A Brand New Film From Film Ferrania

Film Ferrania, the resurgent film manufacturer based in Italy, have been very busy over the last couple of years. Projects that were put to ...