Ko-Fi

Wednesday 12 July 2023

Nikon D80 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses

 In 2006 Nikon released on sale the D80, a mid level enthusiast DSLR with a 10.2 megapixel APS-C CCD sensor. A what sensor? An APS-C CCD sensor, that's what. Before CMOS sensors became the cheaper alternative for manufacturers, every camera had a CCD sensor. Be it a compact pocket point and shoot digital, a phone camera or a DSLR, the CCD sensor was the only option available. APS-C refers to the size of the sensor. There's a link below explaining the size of an APS-C sensor in relation to a Full Frame sensor.

What's the difference between CCD and CMOS sensors?

This is where I need help from an excellent article I found on PetaPixel.com that explains this better than I can. Basically it's down to how each type of sensor captures light and converts it to an electric signal. The processor in the camera then decodes it to display an image on the screen on the back of the camera. Click the link below for a more in depth explanation.

The Nikon D80 was one of the last Nikon DSLR's to have a CCD sensor before Nikon made the move to CMOS sensors that gave their cameras live view and video capability. It was only a matter of time before CMOS sensors became cheaper to make. Canon were leading the charge to CMOS sensors when it released the Canon EOS-1DS in 2002.

Once Nikon caught up and released the D3 and D700, both with with live view capability in 2007, and the later D3-S with HD video capability in 2009, the long established battle of the heavyweights continued.The Nikon D90 holds the distinction of being the very first DSLR to have HD video capability.

In the Nikon range of DSLR's the D80 was aimed at enthusiasts who have a fairly good grasp of photography, but didn't have the money for a semi professional level D200 or a professional level D2. It was also above the entry level D40 that was designed to give a beginner the tools to begin their photographic odyssey.

The lenses I bought alongside my D80 are the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II DX VR kit lens and the 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED VR. Both lenses have the focus motor built into the lens body and both have a Vibration Reduction system that is very good at forgiving old farts like me who have shaky hands and dodgy eyesight. It means you can use lower shutter speeds and still get decent quality sharp images. This is great for a beginner and is pretty much standard in todays mirrorless cameras.

The 18-55mm DX kit lens gives roughly the same field of view on an APS-C crop sensor as a 24-70mm on a full frame camera, the combo of choice for professionals. The 55-200mm DX lens gives you roughly the equivalent field of view on an APS-C crop sensor as a 70-300mm lens on a full frame camera. The focal range of 18mm on the wide end and 200mm on the long end is just about all you need for most photos you wish to take. The camera has a built in flash too.

I went for a wander around the local countryside and used both lenses to give you an idea of what this kit is capable of. I shot in RAW, but you can very easily shoot high quality JPEGs which is selected using the settings menu built into the camera. I also used Manual mode but there are also Aperture and Shutter Priority modes plus a Program mode for more advanced users, i.e. those who read the manual.

There are also a selection of Scene modes to choose from. Depending upon the type of photography you are doing you can choose Full Auto, Day time, Night time, Sports, Macro, Landscape and Portrait. Select the one that matches your conditions and the camera will choose the appropriate settings for you. All you have to do is frame your shot and release the shutter.

The proof is in the photos as to what that 10 megapixel CCD sensor gives to this camera. I was able to capture great quality images that needed very little editing with Affinity Photo 2 to bring the Raw files to life. I went a little deeper into some of them just to see what I could do with each image and I'm very happy with my results.

This kit cost me just shy of £200 from a popular retailer here in the UK and I got some warranty with it too in case it decides to play up over the next few months. You don't need the best and latest cameras to get good photos. As my friend Mike Browne says "Cameras don't take great pictures, you do!" Dont dismiss the older equipment out there as there are bargains to be had that, with a little thought and care, you can indeed take great pictures with.

It might be a while before I get to use this kit again as it is going out on loan to my middle Granddaughter who has expressed an interest in photography. My eldest Granddaughter already nailed my Nikon D90 for her college course, which she is enjoying immensely. There's no way either of them are getting their mitts on my D700 or my D610, a chap has to have some toys to play with you know. Here's a few of my favourites shot with my Nikon D80 Kit and I have placed them and more in an album on Flickr for you to view full size. I hope you enjoy them.

Nikon D80 Flickr Album
What are the differences between CCD and CMOS Sensors? PetaPixel.com
APS-C sensor












No comments:

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 35mm

  April came around and it was the final day of the month before I was able to get out and shoot my 35mm roll of Kentmere 400 black and whit...