Ko-Fi

Wednesday 25 January 2023

1990's Camera Challenge with my Nikon F801s

 The 1990's Camera Challenge started out on Twitter, thanks to Papa Shitty Cams, as a bit of fun for photographers to dig out their 1990's cameras and give them some love. I wrote in a previous blog about this when I bought my Praktica Sport Royale point and shoot. The challenge comes to an end on January 31st so I figured I had better pull my finger out and start carrying a 1990's camera with me when out and about. The camera I chose is my Nikon F801s which was first released in 1991 and AF Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 D lens.

I have been getting back on track recently and catching up with various projects I have on the back burner. I began carrying my F801s for recon shots of locations and compositions as well as general street photography around town. I loaded a roll of Agent Shadow 400 into it and it has been living in my camera bag since christmas, waiting for the weather to improve.

The Nikon F801s, lovingly labelled N8008s in the US, has a history as a second camera. It was released as a high end prosumer model below the legendary F4. A lot of Nikon users who bought the F4 for their professional photography often bought an F801s as a second camera to hold in reserve during weddings, studio work and sporting events. This means there are a lot of low mileage F801s cameras out there for a reasonable price that simply do the job with little fuss.

It's also a very robust camera as I discovered last week, I managed to drop mine when I slipped on a muddy path whilst out shooting my Frugal Film Project roll of Kentmere 400. I learned why Professional Nikon photographers found them to be reliable additions to their kit, they were well built and weather sealed. It set a standard that photographers continued to enjoy with the F80, F90 and F100. 

Whether I am out in a biblical downpour or a sunny day with blue skies and fluffy clouds, my Nikon F801s does what it is supposed to and does it very well indeed. The cameras that appeared in the 1990's laid the ground for the DSLR's that started appearing during this decade. Nikon's first DSLR the D1 counts as a 1990's camera for the challenge thanks to its debut in 1999 and one of our regulars has indeed bought one especially for this challenge. I must also give kudos to Keith Devereux for using a Game Boy camera and having fun with it.

Here's a few of my photos from my F801s and as always I have posted them and more in an album on Flickr you can visit via the link below. You can see more photos from the folks taking part in the challenge by using the hashtags #1990sCameraChallenge and #ShittyCameraChallenge on Twitter, Tumblr and Mastodon. I hope you enjoy them.

Agent Shadow & Nikon F801s
#1990sCameraChallenge on Twitter 
#1990sCameraChallenge on Mastodon

Bridle Path

Sheep Grazing

Shortly after this photo I dropped my Camera

Mesnes Park

The Wiend

Road Works

Nikon F801s, 24-120mm lens and Agent Shadow


No comments:

Post a Comment

I bought another Baldax....

  In my recent blog for my March roll of Ilford HP5 for this year's Frugal Film Project, I spoke of the bother I had with Baldy the Bald...