Ko-Fi

Wednesday 13 April 2022

DubbleFilm Daily Black and White film

 My friend Keith Sharples gave me some film for Christmas, but that's not the only time he has sent a parcel through the post. A few months ago he sent me a roll of Dubblefilm Daily 400 Black and White to get my take on it. Alas it took me a while to get around to using this unexpected gift, but recently I managed to shoot it on a walk around my local area. My camera of choice was my Olympus OM-1 with three Zuiko lenses. A 50mm f/1.4, 28mm f/3.5 and 135mm f/3.5.

I was on my way home from a trip into the town centre when I shot my roll of Dubblefilm 400. I was finding things I would have normally walked past without noticing had I not been carrying my camera. A flight of steps caught my eye, as did a shadow on a wall under a railway bridge and the shadow of some fencing on the pavement. I also took some photo's of a couple of buildings, old and new, and possibly my last winter shots of some local trees as they are starting to wake up from their winter slumber.

Whilst the compositions are nothing special, I realised that I had not taken many photo's of the trees in my neighbourhood for a while. I think I will have to make amends this year, I like the display of colour the trees give us through the year with their spring blossom, bright green summer foliage and golden hues in the autumn. Most compositions I shot were done using my favourite 400 speed film settings, 1/250th - f/11 and, though it is working perfectly, I didn't use the meter on my OM-1 at all. The sky was bright and clear so I used sunny 16. It's always good to test my memory and read the light using my Mk 1 eyeballs.

I developed the roll later that evening using Kodak HC-110 dilution B and the time that the good folks at Dubblefilm had printed on the inside of the box for that developer. I was very pleased to see a nicely developed roll of film as I took it out of the tank and hung it to dry for a couple of hours in my bathroom. I scanned it using my Ion Slides2PC 35mm scanner and gave them a quick tidy up to remove dust spots and scratches in Affinity Photo.

I have no idea what emulsion the folks at Dubblefilm acquired to brand as their daily Black and White film, there is no markings on the edges of the film to denote batch number, frame numbers or the name of the manufacturer. However, I do know it produces decent results and was glad to finally find out how this film performs. It wont be the last time I use it. Here's a few of the photo's I shot that day and I have placed them and more in an album on my Flickr account you can visit using the link below. I hope you enjoy them.

I have a Ko-Fi account. I wont lie, the rising cost of living is affecting everyone, including me. If you enjoy my blog and my photos, please consider donating £3 using the Ko-Fi link below to help me get my beloved Pentax SP500 serviced at the end of the year. Your support is very much appreciated.

DubbleFilm Daily Flickr
Ko-Fi.com/Jim Graves










1 comment:

  1. I like the Dubblefilm daily. It looks awfully like the discontinued Neopan 400 to me.

    ReplyDelete

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 120 medium format

A sunny morning in mid April gave me an opportunity to get out with my cameras and I decided to take two cameras out. I wanted to shoot my F...