Ko-Fi

Wednesday 17 November 2021

Making the best of a bust

 This week I had a plan. I was going to attempt making some Trichrome images, which is to take three B&W film shots of a composition using a red, a green and a blue filter, one on each image to filter the three basic wavelengths of light. The plan was then scan them and merge them in my editing software to produce a colour photograph. It is a long known concept. Panchromatic film is sensitive to light across the spectrum and filtering out one of the red, blue and green wavelengths is how you create each negative. Bringing them together with some photoshop wizardry produces a colour image as if by magic. There are helpful video's on you tube that explain it far better than I can.

That was the plan....

Taking the photographs wasn't a problem. I shot a roll of Ilford HP5, a film I know is capable of producing trichrome images, but my choices of camera and lens was a bit rushed. I figured I would use my F801s and my 24-120mm zoom and give myself plenty of options. A lighter camera with a prime lens, either 28mm or 50mm would have been a better choice as I also used my light travel tripod and that was a mistake. The F801s is a heavy camera and the 24-120mm is a large lump of metal and glass. No matter how tight I fixed everything, the camera would soon begin to nose dive so I didn't really get three shots with the same framing.

My filters were very much up to the task of filtering out red, blue and green wavelengths of light, but my filter holder does a great job of holding the filters tightly. Easing them out of the holder was an exercise in trying to hold three things at once and keeping the cameral pointing in the right direction. In short, I didn't think this through properly before diving into it.

The day wasn't a total bust as I took my Nikon D700 with me and was able to capture some wonderful autumn colour on a tree in the park. It was a bright display of orange and yellow against the trees that still have some greenery so late in the year. That camera never ceases to amaze me with its beautiful colour rendition and, paired with my Tamron Adaptall 2 28-70mm zoom, the scenery comes alive.

Yes, I use a manual third party lens designed for film cameras on a digital autofocus camera. I love this combination and what it brings to my photography. It makes me think, exercises my brain and the photo's didn't need much editing in Affinity Photo to show what it is capable of.

I finished off my roll of Ilford HP5 with some shots around the Park and Wigan Parish Church. Mostly compositions I have used in the past, but each time I take those compositions I get better at it. I developed and scanned the film later on that day. I was a little disappointed that I made some rookie mistakes with my gear, but when I saw the scans on my computer I wasn't too disheartened, I managed to capture some decent photos. This was a valuable lesson in thinking things through before jumping straight in to a new skill. It hasn't put me off and I will definitely be trying to redeem myself in the not too distant future.

Here's a few photo's I am happy with from my day out, both film and digital. Never think you have made a complete bust of a photowalk, there are always some photo's worth sharing. I have added them to albums on my Flicker account that you can visit using the links below. I hope you enjoy them.

Autumn 2021

Ilford HP5 - Nikon F801s







No comments:

Post a Comment

Frugal Film Project 2024 - April - 120 medium format

A sunny morning in mid April gave me an opportunity to get out with my cameras and I decided to take two cameras out. I wanted to shoot my F...