Ko-Fi

Monday 13 July 2020

The Half Century - Ilford HP5+ 400

Recently I have reached the grand total of 50 rolls of film that I have shot and developed this year. Considering I was reluctant to develop film for three decades this is quite an achievement and I wanted to mark this occasion with a film that I really enjoy using, Ilford HP5+ 400. As I have experimented with black and white film over the course of 2020 I have come to the realisation that I am an Ilford fan.

I have shot developed and shared some of the budget films from Foma and Ilford's own Kentmere and also more expensive and technical films such as Tri-X and Bergger 400, but I have an affinity with Ilford that surpasses them all. Before anyone says it, yes, Kentmere 100 and 400 are Ilford owned and produced films, but they are a different emulsion entirely from Ilford HP5 and FP4. Kentmere's unique identity in the Ilford family is a tale for another day.
 

In late 2019 I was given several rolls of expired Ilford HP5 and FP4 and used them to learn the art of developing film at home. I took care this time to make sure I didn't spill any chemicals and to wear gloves etc. Older and wiser and all that. I really enjoyed the experience of shooting and developing expired film, I learned a lot of valuable lessons that have put me in good stead for the future. I also learned that I love Ilford film.

Ilford has a long and storied history in the world of film photography. Founded by Alfred Harman in 1879, he began manufacturing dry gelatine plates in his home in Ilford, London. It wasn't long before a dedicated facility was required and the Britannia Works became the home of Harman, manufacturing 4 types of plate and 6 types of paper. Shortly before the turn of the century Alfred Harman retired due to ill health but retained a substantial share in the company. A few short years later the Britannia Works 1898 ltd officially became known as Ilford. The company has been at the forefront of the manufacture of film, dry plates, paper and chemicals ever since, despite a few hiccups along the way. A management buyout in 2005 saw Ilford come under the Harman Technology banner and thrive in the face of the onslaught of the digital revolution. You can find a more in-depth history at Ilford Photo History

My 50th film just had to be Ilford HP5+ 400, the latest in the HP line of film from Ilford. Over the years Ilford's HP series has advanced to the film we have today with a lot of research and development of chemicals and emulsions that are safer than ever before. The digital revolution may be in a dominant position at this moment in history, but the loyal film photography community have kept Ilford going through the tough first decades of the 21st century.

Ilford HP5+ 400 is a great all rounder amongst the films we still enjoy today. It is a solid and dependable emulsion that can take a fair by of latitude on the exposure index, indeed a lot of folk enjoy shooting HP5+ 400 between 100 and 1600. Some have discovered this by accident, me included, and some have done it deliberately to achieve a certain look to their photographs. Ilford HP5+ 400 handles it all with ease. I decided to stick with box speed on a wet Tuesday in Wigan, loaded a roll of HP5+ 400 into my Nikon F801 and headed into town.


I hadn't been into Wigan town centre for 4 long months due to the corona virus pandemic, but my local Max Spielmann photo store had re-opened and I wanted a few rolls of ColorPlus 200 developed. I like to support the staff at Max Spielmann as they have looked after me since I came back to film photography in 2017. The last few months have been tough all round so it's good to see them back again.

I paid a visit to my usual haunts to celebrate my 50th film. Billy Boston's statue was giving me some decent reflection compositions as the rain drops created an ever changing pattern in the pool of water at Billy's feet. The Face Of Wigan was reflecting the rain soaked path before it and Wigan Parish church stood looking rather dignified in the summer drizzle. Wigan wasn't as busy as I remember it before lockdown, but it's good to see some life on the streets again. Here are a few images I shot that day, the rain made my choice of film a wise one
. I have tidied them up in Affinity Photo to rmove the odd scratches and spots
and I'm pleased with how they have turned out. You can see more on my Flickr account as I proved my earlier full roll with my OM-1 was no fluke, I managed it again with my Nikon F801. I hope you enjoy them.








Only in Wigan can you find a Max Spielmann between two Pie shops.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I bought another Baldax....

  In my recent blog for my March roll of Ilford HP5 for this year's Frugal Film Project, I spoke of the bother I had with Baldy the Bald...